Prep time5 mins
Cook time30 mins
Total time35 mins
A classic combination, simple, quick and healthy. Potatoes and nutrient-rich spinach are slow-cooked to perfection. Enjoy it for your main course or serve it with rice or naann. I deseeded the chilies to ensure its not very spicy.
Enjoy it hot.
1 onion thinly sliced
4 cloves of garlic – smashed
3 tomatoes -diced
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
3 bunch spinach – washed and chopped
4 potatoes chopped into small cubes ( soak in water)
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. Ground spice mixture ( Garam Masala)
2 tbsp. oil
1 inch ginger thinly sliced
1 tbsp cumin seeds
2 green chilies slit in the middle ( de seeded if you want)
1 tbsp oil
1. Heat oil in a large non stick pan over medium heat, add onions and saute till they start to caramelize/turn brown.
2. Add crushed garlic and saute for half a minute.
3. Add tomatoes, crushed red pepper, turmeric and salt. Cook till tomatoes are done and leaves oil.
4. Add spinach and cook till water evaporates, on medium flame.
5. Add potatoes, mix and add water to cook potatoes. When the water starts boiling, cover the pan till water dries and potatoes are cooked.
6. Sprinkle ground spice mixture. Remove from heat.
7. In a pan, heat oil.
8. Add ginger and green chilies. Saute for a few seconds.
7. Add cumin seeds. Mix.
8. Pour the tempering on top of the potatoes and spinach. Toss everything together.
Squeeze some lemon juice on top and serve immediately with hot steamed rice or naan.